Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield Harry Bloomfield is offline

Default Boiler swap?

Installed at the moment is a standard none condensing boiler, on a
kitchen wall and working absolutely fine - supplying heating and hot
water via a tank, with the usual header in the loft.

In my absence an installer has been along to price up for replacing
this boiler with a new condensing type, without specifying make, model
or even the type - though I would assume the type will be 'regular'.

As part of the installation the installer has quoted for the complete
replacement of the gas supply pipe all the way back to the meter, with
no explanation as to why this might be needed or necessary. Obviously I
am rather puzzled, as the existing pipe is not that old, put in during
the last major refit about twenty years ago and I would have thought
perfectly adequate. From memory it is 22mm from the meter to the corner
where the boiler plus cooker are, then drops down to 15mm for the final
1m or so to the actual existing boiler.

Mentioned by the surveyor (all second hand information) was the running
of the new pipe around the outside of the house.

Now before I start shouting expletives at the surveyor down the phone,
I would appreciate some comments first on the above.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)