Grant Erwin

Default bending flat stock with arbor press

Try a 90° block first. It won't take that long. Chuck the block up at 45°
and mill it with an end mill. Or if you don't have a tilting chuck then
slew the mill head 45° and chuck the part flat and mill it. That's the
way the brake on my ironworker is and it works fine. I have the little
Lee Valley vise brake (cute!) and it's cut to 90° and it works fine for
thin stuff too.

If that doesn't work out for you then you can always make the angle a
little steeper on your shaper.

Grant

Charles A. Sherwood wrote:
I would like to make an accessory for my 3 ton arbor press for bending
thin stock. Basically I need a V block and a wedge attached to the ram.
I have tried using a standard V block which works ok for messing around.

I think I need a V block that is actually a bit less than 90 degrees
so I can over bend enough to compensate for the spring back. So the
first question is how much less than 90? The second question is how
to make it? Cutting a 87 degree angle seems a bit tricky with a mill.
The only idea I can come up with it to rough it out with a bandsaw and
then use the shaper to cut the sides.

chuck