Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric9822 Eric9822 is offline

Default Subpanel Grounding Question

On May 24, 7:53 pm, wrote:
Thanks J.A.

The garage is detached so I will install the ground rod tomorrow
with #6 copper. I already bought 10/3 UF and am going to start
trenching and running 1" conduit in the morning. I understand the
neutral bus bar issue but never was able to understand why the bonding
screw is to be removed. If neutral and ground are bonded at the main
panel why is it bad to bond them at the sub? Don't worry...I will
separate them but am just curious.

Rod

If they are bonded together at the subpanel then the neutral current
will be split evenly between the neutral and the equipment grounding
conductor between the subpanel and the main panel. The equipment
grounding conductor is not suppossed to carry current under normal
conditions.