Posted to alt.home.repair
J.A. Michel J.A. Michel is offline

Default Subpanel Grounding Question

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,

Just mounted my 70 amp subpanel on my garage wall. My question
is: Do Subpanels need to be grounded with their own separate ground
rod. I remember someone saying that a 100 amp or above does but not
if less then that. Obviously the panel will be grounded through the
feeder cable.

Whoever told you that was wrong. Amperage of the panel does not change the
ground requirements.
Is your garage attached? If yes, then you do not need to add ground rods.
Run a 4-cable feeder to the sub
from the main and pull ground through that. Make sure that ground and
neutral are not bonded in the sub.
Remove the bonding strap from the neutral bar. If your garage is not
attached, then you need to add
ground rods.