Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Art Art is offline

Default Zenith Pip System 3, blank screen, but sound and menu work

Suspect failure in video processing circuit, get out the scope and trace the
video from the demodulation circuits through to the jungle ic. Other
alternative is send the main board into PTS for rebuilding.
"majesus" wrote in message

I got a Zenith TV with a blank screen problem.

WHen cold, the TV would start fine, then after a few minutes, the
picture would blank out (a blank screen.) The sound still works, and
the menu, volume, channel info can still be displayed on the screen,
but I have picture. The problem use to be fixed by powering off/on the
tv. The blank screen would come on intermittently.

Well tonight, the picture went blank, and I couldn't get it back on. So
I let the TV sit off for 20min off while I did some googling on the net
searching for an answer (that's how I found this forum.)

After 20min, when I turned the TV on, it worked for another 10minutes,
then went out blank again after a minute or so. I haven't been able to
get a picture back since.

I am thinking it is a bad cap (just a case), I'll take it apart
tomorrow and test some di-electric caps around the board with my scope.

Anyone have suggestions that maybe the cause of the problem?

The Zenith TV is a PIP SYSTEM 3, Model SR2573DT, serial 522-454-80230.
It was built in 1995.

Thank you.

--
majesus