Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy Michael Kennedy is offline

Default A really stupid (yet annoying) problem with my OS.

"Rahul" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey Guys,

I have this weird problem. My laptop's only OS (Windows 2k3) crashed.
Now normally, I would have popped the Windows CD and recovered or
reinstalled the OS. But my laptop's CD drive is not working. My laptop
is a 3 year old Acer (AMD sempron 3000+, 512, 40GB, onboard SIS)
Now I had a genius idea of removing the hard drive of this laptop and
put it in my other laptop (with working CD drive) and install the OS
there (Windows again), and then put the hard drive back in my old
laptop. (The plan obviously didn't work as the OS attaches itself to
the processor... i suppose) (and my other laptop is an intel)

Your idea of installing the os on another computer could work. You have to
install it and then go into "win2k3 dos" by booting the intel laptop cd rom
from the windows cd and selecting system recovery console.

It will ask for the admin password. If you didn't set one just leav it blank
and hit enter.

Then you need to go to c:\windows\system32\config
type
cd:\windows\system32\config
(note: you may need to replace c:\windows with c:\winnt)

Then you need to replace the files "system" "defalut"
while in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\config
Type this
copy c:\windows\repair\default
It will ask Overwrite (Y/N) Press Y
Then Type
copy c:\windows\repair\system
It will ask Overwrite (Y/N) Press Y

Now Don't reboot the comptuer in your intel laptop! It is set up so that
when it boots next windows will be looking for what hardware you have in
your comptuer. So put the drive in your AMD and fire it up. It should take
a while installing drivers for all the components in the system, and should
work.

- Mike