Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Advice on replacing soffits/fascias on old house - ventilation holes

In article .com,
LJMeek writes:
I'll be using wood for the soffits and fascias. I'm planning to give
them primer, undercoat two times and gloss coat three times, all done
at grade before the scaffold arrives. A final touch-up coat will be
done once everything's been nailed on.

This is exactly what I've done in the past. Buy the timber well in
advance so it can dry out to its natural moisture level and you can
discard pieces which warp badly or split (can be as much as 70% of
the timber). I cut and temporarily nailed the pieces in place first
to check the fit. Then I took them down and started preparing them
with a liberal coat of rot proofer.

With this much paint, I doubt the wood will be in any condition to
breathe.

I primed the back, but didn't put topcoat on it.

Some other tips...

In all likelyhood any felt will have rotted off and it won't
reach into the gutter anymore. Fit eaves trays along the tops
of the facias. These go under the roof felt and overhang into
the gutter, and prevent any water running down the facias.

If you aren't using eaves trays, cut the top edge of the facias
at the same angle as the slope on the bottom row of tiles. This
means the tile/felt rests on the surface, rather than just the
front edge, and is less likely to damage the paint. When doing
this, the front edge will need to be the same height as the
original facia board, and the back edge taller.

--
Andrew Gabriel