Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] barry@sme-online.com is offline

Default Textured paint removal

On May 24, 9:56 am, "Nancy Young" wrote:
"Bob Bins" wrote

Anyone have experience removing textured paint. My first instinct is to
use a paint stripper or heat gun and scrape. The paint is on plaster
walls.

Anyone know what works best?

Hope you don't mind me piggybacking on your post, but I have
a room where it looks like sand was mixed in with the paint.
My thought was to put a skim coat over it. Anyone who can
answer Bob's question, can you tell me if my idea is a bad one?

nancy

Won't work, at least not to give acceptable results with reasonable
effort/mess. Assuming you mean a coat of drywall compound.

Why? On applying, the blade needs reference edges to guide it;
all you have are random raised bits.

Depending on the type of paint, I'd consider a 6" ROS with 60-120
grit and a vacuum port. And go slow and easy.

Maybe an 8-10" drywall blade can be used to scrape some of
that crap off- but watch the corners, lest they gouge.

Maybe some local pro can look at it and offer suggestion/quote.

HTH,