Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Hooking up a car audio amp

"James Sweet" wrote in message
news:NU65i.8639$ky6.3697@trnddc02...

"Vey" wrote in message
link.net...
I have this old car amp that I don't know much about.
It is a Motorola PA-4000.
I want to hook it up and see if it will work without frying it.

There are two groups of wire, One group is Red, Blue & Black.

The other group is Long Black with an inline fuse, Medium length Black,
Two short Blacks, short Orange and a short Yellow.

On the side, there is a sticker that says "Speaker connections, Left
Channel Yellow Black, Right Channel Orange Black. See Owners Manual."

Typically, I would hook the red to + and the black from the first group
to Black, but what about the blue wire?

And why is the fuse on what looks like a ground wire?

The blue wire is remote power on, so the amp can be switched on by a low
current source, usually the power antenna or amp lead of the head unit.
Not sure why there's a fuse in that other bunch, if you open up the amp
you may be able to identify where it goes.

Hey James - did you manage to find out from your uncle about the traffic
light cable loops ?

Agree with you on the blue wire being remote power on. He can just hook it
to supply '+' to test the amp comes on.

Arfa