Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe Andy Cuffe is offline

Default Sony DVD player update

On Wed, 23 May 2007 22:01:27 GMT, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

The MacroVision is an issue to stop you being able to analog-record a
commercial DVD onto a videotape, potentially making it a 'pirate' copy. It
inserts high level bursts of pulses onto the sync pulse porch level, which
most VCRs - the old Sony Betamax machines being a notable exception - use as
the reference level for the AGC clamp circuit. The bursts of pulses make the
average level shift, which in turn causes the AGC clamp level to shift,
which results in the cyclic brightness level shift that you see. As others
have commented, just get a manual or automatic scart multiplier box.

Arfa

I hate macrovision. All it does is interfere with honest people who
actually bought the original DVD. It affects the sync on my video
projector which is only 3 or 4 years old. Can someone explain to me
why they insist on adding macrovision to the progressive scan output
of a DVD player? No VCR can record progressive scan video. It's
ironic that the best way to get around this problem is to make a copy
of the DVD.

Andy Cuffe