Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Wareham Roger Wareham is offline

Default Stanley Sliding Wardrobe Doors install

ICT User wrote:
I am going to attempt to install some sliding doors from B&Q (i am a
novice at DIY) and was wondering if anyone has done this and got any
tips. One of my concerns is the fact the doors are not as tall as the
ceiling and I believe that you can buy some spacers but cant find too
much information on how they work. Also where we plan to put the
doors it is currently carpeted - do you need to take the carpet up to
install the tracks? And lastly both walls have skirting - do you have
to cut the skirting to install the tracks? If anyone has any good
links with detailed instructions I would be most grateful.

It's a while since I fitted any of these, but as I remember it they come
with ceiling fittings consisting of two plastic brackets (one for the
ceiling and one for the upper track) and an aluminium tube about two
feet long that goes between them. You cut the aluminium tube to the
correct length to suit your ceiling height. Full measurement
instructions are in the pack. You can then screw a piece of melamine
onto the brackets to cover the gap. There is a couple of inches
adjustment in the door fittings to take up any minor errors or level
problems.

Providing the carpet is not too luxurious, you should have no problem
screwing the lower track to the floor through the carpet. You can butt
the track right up to the skirting, but the door will also only butt up
to the skirting - not right the way to the wall. You can use a strip of
wood or melamine screwed to the wall to fill the gap.

I found that the instructions in the packs were very clear and easy to
follow. The only drawback I found was that the systems are not very
rugged and will only stand up to children and teenagers for a couple of
years!

HTH,

Roger.