Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default combi size advice

Ben Blaukopf wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I think where I would install a combi is a bachelor flat of small
dimensions, with a single occupant and a single bathroom there I can
see the virtue of the very small foot print. And overall heating
requirements are not huge.

We stuck one in a one bed flat, two people.

The space saved by not having a cylinder meant we could move the washing
machine out of the kitchen, which made space for a dishwasher. Which
solved the dishes problem. We vented the boiler through the roof, which
meant we could put it in a big cupboard.

Still couldn't shave while my wife was showering, but other than that it
was great.

I think you have made the most useful point here for the OP to consider.

A small cheap combi will not do more than one taps worth of hot water at
a time.

If that is a non starter, then a small cheap combi is not the way to go,
and a large not so cheap combi, becomes almost the same footprint and
cost as an alternative approach.

Including the shower. It had a 5 litre heated store for
proper instant hot water, which worked well.

and of course, since the combi was inside the insulation layer, any loss
from that is heating to the house.

Once you get to a family situation, I think the approach loses all merit.

Absolutely.