Laurie Forbes

Default OT - Lennox Furnaces

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 22:28:03 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 23:19:54 GMT, am (Laurie Forbes)
brought forth from the murky depths:

A friend is purchasing a new furnace and is leaning towards the Lennox
G60 (medium effic., 2 stage heat). She has heard however that Lennox
reliability has declined over the past few years and is therefore not
recommended.

I would appreciate comments anyone may have on Lennox and suggestions
for perhaps something better (& available in Canada).

I just went through that 2 years ago and settled on a Carrier
Weathermaker, a 96% efficient model with a lower-cost A/C unit.
The blower is a low-cost-to-operate variable-speed DC unit
which is so much quieter than my old low-efficiency CA model.
I don't recall what make that was.

I have a high efficiency furnace myself - started with a Carrier but
had to send it back because of a noisy draft inducer.

I looked at Trane (my second choice), ....

A Trane is what I tried next - draft inducer noise still bugs me
sometimes but it was not as bad as the Carrier (its the variable speed
aspect of it that seems to create reasonances and buzzes). The blower
motor (constant speed type) is quite quiet however.

They're quite an assembly of sheetmetal, I tell ya. It blew
me away when I saw him using PVC pipe for the gas furnace
chimney. Air out of the unit isn't much over 100°F!

They're pretty impressive alright - the "chimney" hardly feels warm to
the touch.

Laurie Forbes