Posted to alt.home.repair
sylvan butler sylvan butler is offline

Default Casting Large Concrete Pavers

On 22 May 2007 10:27:39 -0700, wrote:
The time of being in over my head is long since past. Two retaining

It doesn't sound like it...

walls, french drains, and 80 cu yard of excavation and removal of dirt
and rubbish and I am still going.

Good. But you evidently don't know pavers.

As far as the compacted gravel sub base with sand. This was the
original plan, until we decided to plant the dymondia or some other
ornamental grass between the paver slabs. I figured having a dirt
base underneath would be easier to plant with. I was also hoping that

With 2" thick pavers, the base doesn't much affect the grass growing
between the pavers.

the strength of the concrete would be able to overcome any shifting of

Best to treat concrete as a wear surface. The base is critical. If you
don't have a base, think "bridge" and imagine the large concrete and
steel beams necessary for even a foot bridge.

the earth. I suppose I can some scoop the some of the sand out from
the perimeter of each paver/slab once they are put in place, and
replace with soil.

With 1" of loose, screeded sand as I described, there will not be
significant sand between the pavers to "scoop out".

Does anyone have a recommended minimum thickness that the paver/slab
should be. If I increase to 3.5"-4" thickness will this work with the
3/8" rebar, mesh and fiber? I know this will be quite heavy, but I

3" would be fine. Generally if the rebar has over 1" of concrete on all
sides it will be OK in a mild, earth-bound climate.

can reduce the size of the paver/slab to be roughly 2' x 4', or maybe
slightly smaller so that I can get them in place.

You can move a 400lb concrete slab? Impressive.

I am looking to price out how much casting these paver/slabs would

Check out the price of buying pavers.

sdb
--
What's seen on your screen?