Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Matthew Fries Matthew Fries is offline

Default A really stupid (yet annoying) problem with my OS.

On Wed, 23 May 2007 08:06:00 -0400, Meat Plow
wrote:

On Wed, 23 May 2007 05:00:09 -0700, Rahul wrote:

Hey Guys,

I have this weird problem. My laptop's only OS (Windows 2k3) crashed.
Now normally, I would have popped the Windows CD and recovered or
reinstalled the OS. But my laptop's CD drive is not working. My laptop
is a 3 year old Acer (AMD sempron 3000+, 512, 40GB, onboard SIS)
Now I had a genius idea of removing the hard drive of this laptop and
put it in my other laptop (with working CD drive) and install the OS
there (Windows again), and then put the hard drive back in my old
laptop. (The plan obviously didn't work as the OS attaches itself to
the processor... i suppose) (and my other laptop is an intel)

Now how can I install OS in laptop. (I have heard that we can install
OS through network, but I am not sure if my laptop supports it),
anyways, is there any OS which can be installed on the intel machine
but will still work on my AMD laptop?

No

(My C: is clean and formatted and I would install any OS on it if it
later allows me to install Windows or Linux)

Thanks in advance

If your BIOS supports USB boot devices use an external USB CD drive to
install W2K

You could set up a pxe server and try to boot it over the network...
but that would take a lot of time and effort.

Here is an easier solution: You were partly right about putting the
Hard disk in another machine and installing the OS there... but don't
COMPLETELY install the OS. Just install the first pass where the
installer copies the files to hard disk. Just before the first reboot,
power off the machine and put the hard disk back into your laptop.
Then the laptop will boot, enumerate the CPU serial number, and
continue the installation.

Thanks.

Remove the BALONEY from my email address.
Matthew Fries Minneapolis, MN USA

"Quit eating all my *STUFF*!" - The Tick