Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lurch Lurch is offline

Default Cost of boiler replacement?

On Wed, 23 May 2007 21:23:16 +0000 (UTC), Ed Sirett
mused:

On Wed, 23 May 2007 07:09:40 +0100, TMC wrote:

"John" wrote in message
Could anyone give a rough guesstimate of the cost of replacing a
gas-fired, warm air CH boiler (which also drovides domestic hot water)
with a direct replacement?

My mother-in-law lives in Carlisle and when she rang her usual boiler
maintenance guy to ask the question, he said that he was doing one right
at the moment and that it was £2600. This is for old boiler out, new
boiler in and bringing it up to current regs, which we thought was quite
reasonable - especially when compared to all the cost and hassle of
replacing the dry system with a wet system and running copper pipes and
new radiators into each room.

However, my wife's sister has sown the seeds of doubt into her mother's
mind by saying that that's a rip-off - "Our boiler was only £400 and the
complete system, all rads and pipework, was installed, parts and labour,
for that price" - was apparently what she said.

But what she maybe failed to take into account was that her house was
being completely renovated - floorboards were already up, walls were just
bare brick, and no time had to be spent in moving furniture, lifting
carpets etc., etc., which would all have to be done and would cause
considerable upheaval and labour costs at her mothers house.

So, is £2600 a reasonable quote for what she needs?

Cheers,

John.
Get your wife's sisters plumber to quote as well then the doubt is removed
and if her figures were right could you post the plumbers details as I
would like a quote as well

I could not even buy a decent boiler alone for £400

You can scarcely buy an indecent one for that.
There is something that doesn't add up about the £400.

It's a thread revolving largely around womens recollections of
technical details and specifications.

Nuff said.
--
Regards,