Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default dryer plug to two 120VAC 30A ?

On 22 May 2007 19:18:18 -0700, "
wrote:

On May 22, 10:03?pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
On May 22, 7:47?pm, Reid Fleming
wrote:

I have a 4 "prong" dryer plug in my basement. s there a converter
that will plug into it and let me plug in one or two 120VAC 30A
plugs? f there isn't such a converter, how hard would it be to
make one up? hanks.

as far as i know ther are no 120 volt 30 amp receptables.

what are you planning on plugging in?

Hmmm,
If it is on 120V, it'll be ~60A!

just what would any homeowner use 120 volts 30 or 60 amps for?

There's NO 60A line there. You have 2 30A lines which cannot be
connected together (this would produce a short circuit, actually
making 0A available). To get 120V you use ONE how wire and neutral. It
would be possible to connect two 30A appliances, but not a 60A one.

I have seen where someone was using a 240V receptacle for holiday
lights.

It was an older house, so probably 3-wire. That was supposedly unsafe
(current through a bare wire?) but probably not VERY unsafe.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster