Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andrew Rossmann Andrew Rossmann is offline

Default Sony DVD player brightness alternates dark to bright

In article ,
says...
That sounds identical to what happens when playing a DVD player
through a VCR into the antenna jack of a tv set. The VCR being there
to turn the video signal into a radio signal for the tv set. The
problem is that there is copy protection built into some VCRs, and
that starts doing what you describe.

Not all VCR's will have this issue, at least while NOT recording. For
awhile, I ran a DVD player through a JVC VCR with no problems, as long
as I didn't try to record. It seems as if the VCR didn't turn on it's
AGC unless recording.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross