Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Clint Sharp Clint Sharp is offline

Default A really stupid (yet annoying) problem with my OS.

In message , Meat Plow
writes
Little to no chance the optical drives would be interchangeable.

Actually, it's highly likely that they have the same interface on the
drive mech itself, it's just that some laptop manufacturers fit them
into a carrier that has a proprietary connector which is easy to swap
onto another drive. If the drive is 'fixed' into the machine it's more
likely to use the 'standard' connector. I think there are only two types
of connector in use for small form optical drives.
--
Clint Sharp