Posted to alt.home.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default Honeywell Humidicalc Recommended Instead of Outdoor Sensor? (Automatic Humidity Control)

It really doesn't raise the fuel bill, since the furnace cycle is exactly
the same whether or not the humidifier is installed. The humidifier has a
very small fan inside which does draw a negligible amount of electricity,
but this is the only "fuel" required. Since the Honeywell humidifier also
draws electricity, I don't see how the Aprilaire using an outdoor sensor can
in any way whatsoever use any additional energy / fuel when compared to the
Honeywell.

If your point is that adding ***ANY*** humidifier requires energy, (in this
case a very small amount) versus better sealing of the house, then I agree
that airsealing the house does raise the relative humidity. In my case, I
still need a humidifier even when the house has been carefully insulated,
weather-stripped, and sealed.

The original poster is merely trying to compare the merits of the Honeywell
which does not use an outdoor sensor versus the Aprilaire which does use an
outdoor sensor. I know it would be very attractive not to use any humidifier
whatsoever, but in the area where I live where subzero temperatures occur
commonly in the long winters, the only way I have been able to get a
comfortable house which has no dew on the windows but is nicely humidified
to avoid dry throats, dry noses, itchy skin, huge electric shocks when
walking on carpet, sticky doors, sticky drawers, etc. is to use a powered
humidifier and to control it with an outdoor temperature sensor.

Smarty

wrote in message
Smarty wrote:

Having lived with older, non automatic humidifiers, and now using the
Aprilaire and outdoor sensor in a widely varying northeast climate, I
would
never want to do it any other way. This Aprilaire just works superbly and
with no issues whatsoever...

It raises the fuel bill. Airsealing can raise
the indoor RH, while lowering the fuel bill.

Nick