John Manders

Default Chain tensioner ideas

"Old Nick" wrote in message
Back to my post hole digger. I want to spring-tension the main drive
chain (5/8"). I was wondering if anyone has any useful ideas about
putting a chain tensioner together. Part of the reason is that I wll
have to use 2, because the chain fouls the mounting (my build :- ) if
I just tension one side.

I have thought of actually using a little sprocket, or a ball bearing
on a shaft (no drive needed, of course). But there was one picture
that appeared to simply use a piece of plastic! Presumably delrin, or
some other slippery, hard material? It looked quite narrow. I assume
it sits only on the chain rollers.

The chain is in exposed, dusty conditions, I might add. That was why
the dragging plastinc idea did not appeal.

Any ideas appreciated.

I did see a plastic tensioner some while ago that would work for you. I
looked like a thin walled plastic sprocket that sits between the two chain
runs. It is compressed to an oval shape and pushes the two sides of the
chain apart.
Hope I have managed to describe it OK.

John