Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default Anyone Here Use One Of These? Nail Extractor

Wed, May 23, 2007, 2:59am (EDT+4) (Steve) sayeth:
If you turn your slip-joint pliers around, you'll find that the profile
on the outside of the jaws almost exactly matches the nice arc on that
tool.
The only downside is that the slip-joint pliers will bend the nail some
before they start pulling, so hard nails sometimes break off. I also get
a little marking in the wood, avoided by putting a putty knife
underneath. I bet the purpose-built tool does that too, though.

Yeah, but ff I use my antique version of this,
http://www.smithfrancistools.co.uk/Default.asp?Page=41 or a hammer, or
flat nail puller, I won't need to mess around with slip-joint pliers -
which don't work for anything but small nails or brads anyway.

At times s hail head pulls off. Sometimes you can jam a claw
hammer on and pull it, sometimes not. This thing looks like it might be
able to get a good grip, keep it, and pull a headless nail. According
to their hype it should anyway. So, again, I want to hear from anyone
here that's tried one, and what they think of it.

What I'd really like is soee sort of nail puller that will pull a
pallet nail straight out, without breaking it, regardless if the nail
head stays on, or not. Hmm, even as I type this, details of a Rube
Goldbergish hydraulic pallet nail puller appear in my mind. Hmm, I've
got some scrap metal, now if I can just talk whichever kid has te welder
to bring it home for awhile, I'll pickup a small bottle jack and start.
I've already got some yellow paint too.

JOAT
What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new
humiliations?
- Peter Egan