Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser Lobby Dosser is offline

Default Ping: FoggyTown

Andy Dingley wrote:

On 22 May, 03:04, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Since you are in the UK, what is the skinny on the Cutty Sark?

Bad restoration and preservation efforts in the '50s caused immense
ongoing damage to the frames. Infighting for decades did nothing to
solve this until the whole hull was no longer structurally safe. Then
the masts were removed and replaced with lampposts.

LAMPOSTS!? Good Grief!! The restoration efforts of the 50s may have been bad, but I
had an enjoyable few trips to see her during the early 60s. I have a very strong
memory of wandering 'tween decks hunched over to protect my noggin - and I'm 5'6".
But Lamposts?! What a desecration. Be better to tow her out to sea and sink her.

snips

Here in Bristol we've just lost the recently-built Wildwalk owing to a

Is that pub in a cave still open? The one supposedly there since 900.