Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default Cost of boiler replacement?

"John" wrote in message
Could anyone give a rough guesstimate of the cost of replacing a
gas-fired, warm air CH boiler (which also drovides domestic hot water)
with a direct replacement?

My mother-in-law lives in Carlisle and when she rang her usual boiler
maintenance guy to ask the question, he said that he was doing one right
at the moment and that it was £2600. This is for old boiler out, new
boiler in and bringing it up to current regs, which we thought was quite
reasonable - especially when compared to all the cost and hassle of
replacing the dry system with a wet system and running copper pipes and
new radiators into each room.

However, my wife's sister has sown the seeds of doubt into her mother's
mind by saying that that's a rip-off - "Our boiler was only £400 and the
complete system, all rads and pipework, was installed, parts and labour,
for that price" - was apparently what she said.

Only if she got a very small, possibly second hand, boiler. Boiler prices
are typically in the £500-£1200 range.

So, is £2600 a reasonable quote for what she needs?

That will depend on the size of the property and what is normal in the area.
I would be very happy with that for a three-bedroom house in SE England.
However, the only way to be sure is to get a number of quotes

Colin Bignell