Posted to alt.home.repair

Default mounting bathroom fans better

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
Has anyone come up with a better way to mount a bathroom fan so as

minimize the vibration they produce? Seems like the traditional 2

screw
mount of the normal NuTone bathroom fans would absolutely magnify

any
sounds
and vibrations produced by the unit.

Would it help to put a stringer on either side of the fan so that
vibrations
are transmitted to the framing?

I don't want to turn this into a physics exercise so much as learn

about
better methods used.

The better quality fans such as the Nutone QT series or my favorite,
Panasonic, don't have a noise problem. Look at the sone rating for
each
fan. Less sones is better. I think a Panasonic 80 CFM fan is .4

sones
whereas the cheap fans that builders usually install are 6 or 7

sones.

Sure I know there are better units available, but that's not really

what
I'm
asking.

What about quieting down the one that already exists?

You could try using some rubber mounts or put a rubber block between the
fan
and joist, but I doubt that will do anything significant. The small
cheapo
fans operate at higher RPMs than the larger more expensive quiet fans.

Save your efforts for some other project. If you want a quiet fan, then
buy
a quiet fan. When you go to sell the house potential buyers will notice
the
difference as their current dwelling will most likely have a noisy fan.

Well if I had a 100 bucks for a decent fan I'd spend the money on paying
down my debt and stick with the noisy sucker I have. I have a feeling
you're ultimately correct but that don't mean I won't try.

You could try a fan speed control such as one used for ceiling fans. Maybe
the lower RPMs would make it quieter. Of course there is the risk that the
motor may make noise from the use of the fan speed control. That would also
mean an additional fifteen or twenty bucks that you could have used to buy a
better fan or pay down your debt.