Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plumbing - Pipe size question

wrote in message
ups.com...
Here's a general plumbing question for the group:

I have a home built circa 1920 and the water main was recently
upgraded to a 3/4" copper pipe. Yet all the copper inside the house
is 1/2". I am going to be redoing my kitchen and bathrooms, and am
considering replacing all the 1/2" pipe with 3/4". Is this upgrade
worth doing? The challenge is that the water pressure coming in off
the street is fairly low, and I am concerned that adding a larger pipe
will only decrease the water pressure that much more.

No benefit unless you upgrade the main trunk in the feed, but after that,
1/2" is plenty as it is reduced further at the fixtures. The downside is
that for hot water, you have to drain out more water sitting in the line to
get the hot to flow at the fixture.