Posted to alt.home.repair
jJim McLaughlin jJim McLaughlin is offline

Default Leaf guards for gutters.

BobR wrote:
On May 21, 4:55 pm, aezael wrote:

I am getting too old to climb ladders and clean the gutters so I am
asking for any input about how to protect the gutters from being
filled with leaves and debris.
Thanks for any help.

I replace my open gutters about 12 years ago with a gutter system
called LeafGuard. This system uses a complete cover over the gutter
that relies on the water adhearing to the surface of the guard and
following a curve back into the gutter while the leaves are washed off
the guard.

http://www.leafguard.com

They guarantee the system and will clean the gutters for free if they
ever clogged. I lived in the house for 12 years after putting the
gutters on and only had to have them cleaned out once. The gutters
were very effective with a couple of minor exceptions. One, the fine
gravel off of our new roof flowed with the water into the gutter. The
water flow was not enough to clear the gravel out of the gutter. The
other problem was a buildup of pine-needles over that period of time
and we had to have the gutters cleaned after 10 years. The other
types of leaves were not a problem though and they washed over the
gutter.

So much of whar works is depndent upon what ypur "leaf" situation is.
I live in the Pacific NW, Oregon. Most of my gutter / roof crud is Douglas
fir needles, maybe 1/8 inch wide, half that thick and maybe 5/8 -
3/4 inch long. The rest is vine maple and alder leaf.

Several neighbors have invested in the "Cadillac systems" like Leaf Guard
and Gutter Helmet. Both work well with the maple leaves and alder
but are less than a success with the Doug fir needles. While the Leaf
Guard uses get "free" cleaning, they had pay a lot up front for
that free" cleaning.

Last fall, I found a product at the Local Loews, cones in 36" strips, has a
white PVC like frame over which there is a white vinyl / PVC ish window
screen fabric glued on. The PVC like frame "snaps" into the gutter,
has a slight upward bow.

I put it on the front and back of the garage (about 24 feet each)
as a test over the fall and winter. I plan to go up ther this weekend
and check out ow it worked, as well as clean the house gutters.
Its a Memorial Day tradition around here.

Stuff I found is called "Snap In Gutter Filter" by an outfit called
"Gutter World". No location or web site listed on the label.
"Made in USA". UPC code 17857 00461 7. Label says "WHITE" in
bold letters, which leads me to believe that it is available
in other colors, but I've not seen any other colors.

It was $ 3.59 / $ 3.99 a 3 foot strip at Loews. Not cheap, not outrageous.
Still wanted to do a serious test before I invested in enough to
cover the 50' of gutter run in each of the back and front of the house.
Probably will look around to see if I can get a better pice on 35 - 40
pieces if I do decide to go with it on the house gutters.

I have no affiliation with or interest in the company or the product.
I'm just waiting to see how well it worked on the garage gutters.

YMMV.