Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default mortise lock - no key

On Tue, 22 May 2007 20:28:01 UTC, "Bob Minchin"
wrote:

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a door with mortise lock and no key. Probably the original lock
from 1930s. Never needed to open that door before. I would really have
to damage the door to get the lock out. What is a reasonable price for
a locksmith to pick it ? I don't want it re-keyed, just opened.

Can you get to the side of the door with the hinge pins?

If so grind off one end of each hinge pin, drive them out and open the door
that way, then remove the lock and re hang the door.

While reading this, I had in mind a similar kind of door problem that I
have. Unfortunately (and maybe in this case too) the hinge side has been
fitted with those security pins that stop one doing just that!

http://www.diybanter.com