Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Ian is offline

Default Hayter Lawnmower Disc Blade Carrier - how to remove?

On Sat, 19 May 2007 19:00:28 +0100, "Davy"
wrote:

I am servicing a Hayter Hayterette mower and need to remove the large metal
disc that the bladelets are attached to so that I can replace them. I
assume I undo the nut in the centre. But how to stop the disc/shaft
turning?
And does anyone know which way the disc rotates in use - I suspect that the
bladelets are on the wrong way round!

cheers

Davy

Hi Davy,
Sorry to have come late to this. If you're still struggling I can
offer the following advice - some of which may already have been given
1) Stand in the usual driving position behind the Hayterette
2) Make sure the petrol tap is turned off and turn whole mower 90
degrees to the left so it is stood on its left side.
3) Walk round and look at the disc from the underside
4) Clamp MOLE wrench as hard as you can at about the 2 o'clock
position
5) put socket/spanner/big spanner or whatever on retaining bolt and
turn slowly anticlockwise. The retaining bolt is a normal bolt NOT as
has been suggested it may be a left hand thread
6) the Mole wrench will connect and jam against the front offside of
the deck
7) put on a bit/lot of pressure - as others have said a liberal dose
of PlusGas and or heat may help although on the 2 ancient ones I have
done where I don't think the bolts had ever been off this was not
needed
8) Persevere!
9) When the retaining bolt is out, the thread in the crank is actually
smaller than the hole in the disc through which the retaining bolt
passes. Furthermore this hole is threaded to take a bolt to draw the
disc off the crank. I'm not very up on bolt threads but I THINK it was
described as 1/4" when I got it. It is about 7/16ths diameter and
pitch is about 19 per inch. The head has three radii on it which I am
sure indicates something! Over to someone else on this one.
10) As to the blade orientation. The polythene packet that the genuine
ones (or it might be the bolts for the blades - you are going to
replace those as well aren't you?!) has a nice little piccie showing
how they mount. I've just had a look at my machine and from the where
it is clear the rotation is anticlockwise viewed from underneath. In
the normal operating position the chamfer on the blade is uppermost.

I apologise if all this sounds patronising, it is not meant to be! I
was struggling to describe positions without points 1-3!

Don't forget to :
a) change the oil whilst you're there - the drain plug is under - or
over depending on your viewpoint - the disc!
b) coat the crank and the retaining bolt with Coppergrease when
reassembling

Good Luck
Please reply to group - email address is not monitored
Ian