Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie Bress Charlie Bress is offline

Default Kitchen faucet / sink advice

I used to like Moen but no more. I had a single handle Moen in that was less
than 7 years old. There is what I consider a serious design flaw. There is a
part inside called the pivot retainer. It serves as the link between the
handle and the cartridge. This part was made of plastic. One day it broke
apart. This happened as the handle was being raise to call for water. When
it broke we had a good flow of water but no way to shut it off by using the
handle.

I shut it off using the shutoffs in the supply lines and called Moen. True
they were going to send the replacement part. I would get it in a few days.
I told the rep that if I had to wait a few days without the use of the
kitchen sink, I would go to HD and buy a Delta. She was kind enough to
overnight the part.

I have since replaced the Moen with another make. I won't say what brand as
it has not been long enough to get a good history.

Charlie

RnR wrote in message news
Just wondering which is better in the kitchen for a "rental" home? If
it matters, we live in a hard water area and will have a professional
do the installation.

a) stainless steel sink or enamel sink (new formica will surround it)?
(pro's and con's for each please; brands recommended or to be avoided)

b) single handle or 2 knob faucet ?
(pro's and con's for each please; brands recommended or to be avoided)

My goal would be hopefully for low maintenance / durability. I wonder
which faucet is cheaper to maintain if you hire a handy man to do the
work ie: faucet seats vs. cartridges? Usually our tenants aren't too
harsh on the home but I don't expect them to treat it like they own it
either.

Is it typical for most single handle faucets (Moen comes to mind)
supplied with a lifetime parts warrantee? Any brand have a better
warrantee than Moen (easier or faster to get parts)?