Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy Robatoy is offline

Default bendable wood

In article .com,
DZIN wrote:

Wife and I have used the Downy process very successfully on several
occasions. We use black DWV also. To speed things along, we pour in
boiling water, after the wood and 3 capfuls of Downy, then let it set
in the Arizona sun for 2-3 hours. It's very pliable.1/2"X2" is the
largest we've tried and it's all been qrtr sawn white Oak. Longer
soaking would be neccesary, of course, for thicker stock.
Gene

Great! Sometimes my friends try to trick me, but it is good to hear it
works. I am also told that only Downey seems to work, that other
softeners don't. Any input on that?
Also, what do you do after you bend it? Rinse with plain water? Or isn't
there enough Downey to matter?

TIA