Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Wood Turners - The Evil Knievels of Woodworking?

On Mon, 21 May 2007 22:38:59 -0700, charlieb
wrote:
Snip

*snicker* Sort of reminds me of JOAT's plan on the Wreck for roughing
out blanks with a power planer. Even *I* balked at the idea of that
one, and I'll try just about anything.

But one question springs immediately to my mind- if turners are the
bikers of the woodworking world, what are metal-spinners? The
trapeeze artists? (I'm still pretty rotten at it, but that
doesn't stop me from fitting metal disks onto the lathe with pressure
and wishes, and then prying on them with big metal bars while they
spin around)

So looking downstream I see a turner eyeing and arc welder and thinking
€œI wonder what would happen if . . .€ And somewhere, in some weapons
lab, a guy experimenting with shaped charges is thinking €œWhy am I
hollowing out a piece the same way people have been doing it for who
knows how long. If I were to make a small shaped charge that would . .
.€.

Eveil Knievel - in the turners world - youre a cautious fellow.

charlie b
who shudders when he thinks about some of the things he's seen wood
turners do - and still pokes sharp steel into spinning pieces of wood -
in spite of his better judgement.