Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy Robatoy is offline

Default bendable wood

On May 21, 1:07 pm, B A R R Y wrote:
mm47 wrote:
I will be dusting off and using my old copper steam wood bender this
summer. I know cherry, maple and walnut lend themselves well to steam
bending, BUT what other woods, including EXOTICS steam bend well too?
tnx
mm47

Not an exotic, but ash is fantastic to steam bend.

One woodworking shop near here uses a 4 ft long 1-1/2" plastic drain
pipe capped on one end. They then slide in a moulding, or strips and
then they fill it with Downey fabric softener. After a couple of days
of soaking, you can practically tie knots in the strips. Supposedly,
the dipalmitoylethyl hydroxyethylmonium methosulfate does the trick by
lubricating the fibers so they won't tear when being bent. I have this
from 2 sources, but I have not tried it myself.
After it is bent and attached in place (fire-place mantles), it is
rinsed with a wet sponge and then, supposedly takes regular stains and
finishes.

If you're waiting for a punch-line or some sort of pun...sorry.