Posted to alt.home.repair
snydley snydley is offline

Default Sliding patio door entry lock help needed

"Tim Smith" wrote in message
In article ,
"snydley" wrote:
What I'm looking for is an outside door handle with barrel lock on it,
something I can use to lock it with a key from the outside. It locks fine
from the inside, I want to use it as an entry door.
Thanks for the help

Well, they definitely exist, because my sliding door has one, if I've
correctly understood what you are looking for. Here's a pair of
pictures of the handle on my sliding door. First, from the inside:

http://www.tzs.net/door/inside.jpg

and from the outside:

http://www.tzs.net/door/outside.jpg

So, from the inside it is a normal sliding door latch. Flip the lever,
and the hook thingy comes up. Slide the door closed with the hook
thingy up, it is will latch, so you can lock the door from outside
without using the key.

From the outside, it is a normal sliding door handle, except for a
barrel lock, which can be used to lock and unlock the door.

And yup, I use it for just what you want to get one for--that's my main
entry door.

--
--Tim Smith

Hi Tim,
THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I WANT!!!!! My door doesn't have a lock on the outside.
I've seen a few online, my trouble is that I don't know the "make" of door
it is. There's no identification anywhere on it. My door is a wooden door, 1
5/8" thick, the screws are 4" apart center to center. I haven't found a
handle/lock assembly that fits that "thick" of a door. I might just have to
buy something and try to make it work.

Thanks,
Snyde