Posted to alt.home.repair
sylvan butler sylvan butler is offline

Default Casting Large Concrete Pavers

On 18 May 2007 18:14:37 -0700, wrote:
Thanks for the responses so far. I would not have thought of idea
that I am proposing, other than I have seen this type of work done in
a number of homes here in Los Angeles - albeit expensive ones I have
seen on architectural tours. I could not afford the cost of having
some one else fabricate custom concrete forms and then have them

It sounds like you are in way over your head. You need a LOT more study.

Basically the site on which I will be installing these paver/slabs is
very hard clay with little give.

Very poor base. Proper base will be done by excavating and putting in a
few inches of compacted 3/4" road base, perhaps topped by compacted and
leveled sand. Finally layer an inch or so of moist sand screeded to
height. Then lay and bed the pavers in that base.

I expect there to be normal to light
foot traffic.

Can you guarantee that? Or is this adjoining or near a driveway where a
vehicle might drive onto it? If really only foot traffic then a base of
2" compacted 3/4" road base will probably be enough. (Still need the
inch or so of moist sand screeded, into which to bed the pavers.)

The idea with the 2" thickness was to limit the weight
so that I could physically install the slab. Additionally, with the
paver/slabs that I have seen, they all appeared to be roughly 2" in
thickness. I actually cast one that was 2' x4' and was able, without
too much trouble to pick it up and move it into place.

Buy pavers. They use lightweight aggregate, air entrainment, etc. to
reduce the weight and cost and increase the strength.

I was hoping to solve the potential cracking issue by either adding a
little thickness to the paver/slab, using a littl more rebar, fiber or

Fiber or ferrocement would probably work, maybe remesh (10ga or so) but
even 3/8" rebar in a 2" slab is iffy.

Don't forget some retaining method at the edge. Steel is nice, set down
about grade (ground level) to about 1/2" above grade.

sdb
--
What's seen on your screen?
http://pcscreenwatch.com