Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default mounting bathroom fans better

On Mon, 21 May 2007 17:18:37 -0400, willshak
wrote:

on 5/21/2007 4:59 PM Eigenvector said the following:
Has anyone come up with a better way to mount a bathroom fan so as to
minimize the vibration they produce? Seems like the traditional 2
screw mount of the normal NuTone bathroom fans would absolutely
magnify any sounds and vibrations produced by the unit.

Would it help to put a stringer on either side of the fan so that
vibrations are transmitted to the framing?

I don't want to turn this into a physics exercise so much as learn
about better methods used.

There are bathroom exhaust units where the fan is further up in the
exhaust ducting so you don't even hear them.

That's a great idea. The bathroom off my bedroom came with a separate
switch, and I put a switch in the other one so it doesn't have to be
on just because the light is on. I only use that one to get rid of
semi-maybe-poisonous fumes from some cleaner I might use every year or
two.

The one in the powder room I just unplugged. I can't stand that
noise.