Posted to alt.home.repair
toolguy toolguy is offline

Default Sliding patio door entry lock help needed

On May 21, 5:54 pm, "snydley" wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

snydley wrote:
HELP,
I have a wooden 1 5/8" thick sliding glass patio door that has no
exterior lock cylinder in the outside handle. The door was on the
house when I bought it 6 years ago, I don't know what brand it is and
I can find no identification on the door anywhere. I want to buy
whatever hardware is necessary to allow me to lock the back door up
when I leave and use this door as an entry door. I have been to the
local Lowes and Home Depot stores and can't find anything that will
work. My door is wooden, 1 5/8" "thick",(outside to inside), and the
door handle screws are 4" center to center. Has anyone ever had this
predicament and know where I can buy the hardware necessary to
accomplish this? I can't believe there is not something out there
that will work. Thanks for any help,
Snyde

Google (patio+door+hardware+lock) yields 400,000 hits. Here's one:

http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/73...ks/keyed-patio...

Now this item is designed for the inside, but could be adapted for
outside. Anchor it to the frame such that the pin engages the TOP of the
door frame.

You may have to abandon the plan to incorporate the lock within the
handle. Once you do that, other solutions pop up immediately. Such as a
hasp and padlock!

Thanks for the response. No, it's gonna be a lock within the handle or
nothing. If I have to I'll get a handle that has a lock in it and "adapt" it
to fit. I'm not going to butcher my door just to have a lock on it. I've
searched Google too, and found a few handles, not quite the right size, but
it looks like I'm gonna have to adapt something. My other idea was to call a
locksmith and see if they could do something. Probably cost a lot of $$$
that way though.
Snyde- Hide quoted text -

Email me a pic of your door off list at and I'll
see what I can do for you. We have alot of old parts floating around
and I deal with several locksmith supply companies on a regular basis.
I'm sure we can find something...

Ed