Posted to alt.home.repair

Default mounting bathroom fans better

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
Has anyone come up with a better way to mount a bathroom fan so as to
minimize the vibration they produce? Seems like the traditional 2 screw
mount of the normal NuTone bathroom fans would absolutely magnify any

sounds
and vibrations produced by the unit.

Would it help to put a stringer on either side of the fan so that

vibrations
are transmitted to the framing?

I don't want to turn this into a physics exercise so much as learn about
better methods used.

The better quality fans such as the Nutone QT series or my favorite,
Panasonic, don't have a noise problem. Look at the sone rating for each
fan. Less sones is better. I think a Panasonic 80 CFM fan is .4 sones
whereas the cheap fans that builders usually install are 6 or 7 sones.