Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Interlock locks to be used in lieu of transfer switch

no spam wrote:

Good post and nicely done!

One section forgotten (I can't rememeber the section and I don't have
my code book handy) is the quality of the workmanship claus. The
inspector can reject it if he doesn't think it appropriate.

Good point.

If the inspector ever sees it :\.

Do you really believe all those folks buying wireing & boxes &
outlets & switches at Home Despot on Saturday afternoons all have
building permits & are going to hand the stuff over to a liscensed
electrician to do the work??

I know they don't. I'm not a licensed electrician. Personal story below.

Where I used to live if you went to the county court house and asked about
a permit they would have told you that you'd have to go to the next county
to get your driver's permit. I now live in an area where you have to have a
permit before you can even think about what you might build five years from
now. With that said, after jumping through many hoops, paying more money
than I make in 6 months and filling almost one complete drawer in my filing
cabinet with the necessary paperwork I started to work. I called and told
them I was ready for the county inspector to come out and see if things were
up to standards. He drove up, we talked about military service, his days
flying an old PBYand told me that ever thing looked fine and signed. He
never got of his truck.

Lets just AssUMe everybody smart enough the be on Usenet can do house
wiring to acceptable standards .

To be honest with you if the codes are written clearly you don't need much
over a 60 IQ to wire a house. Code tells you what size wire from point A to
point B, how many outlets and/or lights allowed per circuit, max distance
between outlets, where GFI's are required. The problems start when you have
a strong electrictions union around.

The other item is "qualified". I believe you would have to have
somebody deem you qualified to apply this one.

True, but "qualified" is a loaded term- I'm sure we all know of
presumably "qualified" electricians who shouldn't be allowed to plug a
wallwart into a wall recepticle. My experience is that utility
inspecters will pass something if it's "right", even if it isn't done
by the "right" person.

A lot of them will pass stuff if its done wrong but done by the "right"
person, usually a "licensed" insert profession here. Let some "idiot home
owner" install things OVER CODE (i.e. using 10 ga wire when code only
requires 12) and see what happens.

You should try building a TV station in a city with no heavy
industry, if you want to meet idiot inspectors.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida