Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe Andy Cuffe is offline

Default Pioneer CLD-92 not reading laser disks

This high end laser disk player from 1990 plays CDs fine, but when a
LD is inserted, it only spins for a few revolutions before it ejects
it. My first instinct would be to say the optical pickup is bad, but
other LD players I've seen with problems try a lot harder to play
before giving up. I don't think it's the spindle motor because when
it's playing a CD it has plenty of torque (I actually can't slow down
the disc by holding the spindle). The pickup moves freely and the
tilt motor is working. Since I don't have a service manual, I'd like
to hear any ideas before I really dive into it.
Andy Cuffe