Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] l.vanderloo@rogers.com is offline

Default Log too big for chainsaw

Hi Dick

I don't know what you want to, or are able to turn from it, so I will
pretend that I am cutting it up for me.
take one piece and block it up horizontal, so it will not roll, start
cutting with the grain so the cut will go through the centre, hold the
saw on an angle and cut till the nose will go into the wood, go to the
other side and do the same thing, as you are overlapping the cuts you
can go down deeper till you again will get the nose buried, switch
sides ones more, etc., now if I would want to quarter the piece to
make 4 natural edge bowls from it I would flip the piece over and
continue to halve it and then do that once more with each halve,
however if I would want to make some slabs I would make the other cuts
now to, and then flip the piece over to finish the cuts, going from
the outside slabs, till the middle as the last cut.
All the slabs can be cut up later much easier than when in log form.
As long as you angle your saw you won't get it plugged up as easy, if
you cut flat with the grain you'll get long stringy shavings that will
jam the saw.
Don't forget to seal the blanks, or all your work will be for nothing.
And KEEP YOUR EYES ON YOUR FRIES, and be careful.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On May 21, 1:05 pm, Olebiker wrote:
I have a couple of pieces of sycamore that are about 18" long and 24"
in diameter. My chainsaw has a 16" bar. Any thoughts on how best to
cut these logs into blanks without removing any digits?

Dick Durbin
Tallahassee