Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default Log too big for chainsaw

In article om,
Olebiker wrote:

I have a couple of pieces of sycamore that are about 18" long and 24"
in diameter. My chainsaw has a 16" bar. Any thoughts on how best to
cut these logs into blanks without removing any digits?

Cut from two sides. You can cut 31-32 inches with the bar you have if
you cut from both sides. This does mean burying the nose, and if your
relationship with your chainsaw is such that this seems a poor idea,
well, then, go looking for a 3-1/2 foot handsaw.

If your relationship with your saw does not already involve chaps,
hardhat, chainbrake, etc. then you are already being optomistic,
regardless of where the saw nose is (hint, gear much cheaper and less
painful than emergency room visit). The digits normally remain attached,
as they are normally on the handle of the saw. Keeping the arm attached,
and the head intact are more common problems.