Posted to alt.home.repair
dean dean is offline

Default Septic Problems

On May 21, 8:01 am, Doc None@Youremail wrote:
dpb wrote groups.com:

On May 3, 8:34 am, Doc None@Youremail wrote:
wrote
groups.com:

On Apr 1, 11:31 am, "Eigenvector" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...

On Apr 1, 2:25 am, "Jackson" wrote:
"cmiles3" wrote in message

roups.com...

On Mar 26, 3:23 pm, wrote:
My wife and I were planning to sell our home in Central NJ
(clay dirt) with very high water table. We have a septic and
the septic appeared to be fine but figured that we should
have it tested so we don't have any problems when we sell.

(Much clipped for brevity)

Whether the OP should or should not have had this inspection done to
be nice is moot as in New Jersey both well and septic tests have to
be performed to sell a house. What might be worth doing is to get an
inspector without any fiscal incentive to find a problem to look at
the septic system. Also keep in mind that we have had lots and
lots...and lots and lots of rain recently. This might also impact the
ability of a marginal leach field to absorb water in the system.

It might make sense to have the system pumped and have an inspection
done so you can document the actions to a buyer, although if memory
serves, the septic inspection has to be done within 45 days of
closing.

Good luck.

I couldn't find any indication of there being State law in NJ
requiring inspection by search of the NJ web site links for real
estate and

(Clipping continued)

Oops, I hate when I rely on memory instead of documents. I took a look
at my purchase documents and realized that you are correct, it is not a
state law in NJ. Septic inspection was a requirement by the New Jersey
Pinelands Commission (house is in the Pinelands area).

For penence I will now go and offer myself as a sacrifice to the gypsy
moths as I figure that they will start on humans soon as the trees are
rapidly disappearing.

Doc- Hide quoted text -

There is a company that drills holes in the field and injects high
pressure air and some kind of styrofoam granules, which breaks up the
field and allows better drainage. I think the cost was something like
$7K. Maybe someone can chime in here and remind us both of the system,
as I have the same problem with the leach field.