Posted to alt.home.repair
J.A. Michel J.A. Michel is offline

Default Purchase house with musty smell

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
. net...
We just looked at a bunch of houses for sale in western North Carolina.
One of the houses was very nice on very nice property. One problem, there
was a musty smell in the area of the 2 bedrooms. On further checking, the
basement under the bedrooms also had the same smell. The house did not
have central heat or AC. The heat was provided by electric baseboard
units and fireplaces. If we were to bid on this property and subsequently
buy it, we would add central heat and AC. My question, how does one
proceed with the musty smell problem. Do I hire a home inspector to check
it out? Or do I hire a water sealing company to check it? Or what? Any
suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

If you are serious about buy this house, or any house for that matter, by
all means hire an inspector. A hired inspector's judgment won't be impaired
by emotional attachment.