Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default Wondering Why

Trusting that I won't get spit at here, I'll resume the ramble.

Could it be that in addition to the comfort of grandad's tools and the
fear of lawyers, some 'tried and true' tool designs do not change as
better materials become available because of rigidly dogmatic turning
instructions that are repeated over and over in books, posts, demos,
articles and club meetings.

No doubt that in many turning shops turners are grinding, fabricating
and successfully trying even truer tools and techniques that take
advantage of newer materials. Could it be that most don't see the light
of day and remain untried by most of us because their owner feared being
scoffed at or ignored by an unelected hierarchy?

I am not paranoid, but I am inconsistent, some say perverse. There
may not be any unwritten rules propagated by an unelected hierarchy.
Maybe every genuine improvement in tool design gets its day in court.
That said, why am I thinking about posting an updated list of what I
consider useless and unnecessary new tools and devices I find in
catalogs?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter