Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Dim display Panasonic stereo

On 20 May, 16:33, (Ken G.) wrote:

Thanks . i have replaced capacitors in VCRs before for dim display . I
have seen only a few of these stereos this way and if you ever worked on
one you know how difficult it is to get apart & under the boards .
I will note the your ideas and collect more before i dig in .
Thanks !

These VFDs typically want +30v for the anode, and filament v depends
on the display, but is very low. They can dim after 20 or more years
of use, if its that old I'd suggest a slight filament boost. One way
is to put a turn or 2 onto the mains transformer secondary and connect
this in series with the filament feed.

VFDs have a huge margin on filament power.

Another poss is to clean up the optical filter, or replace it with a
lighter one, or even leave it out. With these tricks you should get
another century out of it, VFDs just dont die.

NT