Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Modrall Mark Modrall is offline

Default house water treatment systems

Hi...

Our house has a well with fairly hard water. When we moved in, the
arsenic concentration was just below the epa max, but the limit has
since been lowered. We put in a reverse osmosis system for drinking
water 6 years ago, but now we're looking at a whole house system. My
wife's had a couple of guys come out and make their pitches. Everybody
says their system is patented and the other guy's is outdated technology.

So anyone have any recommendations on good systems for removing
arsenic?

They also recommend a water softener, which makes some sense given
the hardness of the water.

I've been concerned about how all of these new stages will affect
water pressure. We have a particulate filter on the whole house and
generally the water pressure is underwhelming. A couple of faucets with
good aerators seem okay. The guys pitching systems so far say that it's
calcification on the water heater that's causing the pressure drop -
except that we just have a hot water holding tank and the water is
heated by the furnace.

How would we put some of these systems in without dampening the water
pressure even further?

Thanks
mark