Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen Dan Espen is offline

Default Hayward comfortzone inground pool heater - pilot won't light

garagesaler writes:

The pilot won't light on our Hayward comfort zone pool heater. It has
a switch that is supposed to do it, but nothing happens when we use
it. Is it safe to try to light it with a match? Any other
suggestions? Thanks.

If you can get a match near the flame, sure.

I find the first time I turn it on each spring it takes
a while to get it to light the first time.
Make sure all the pipes are open,
and turn it on, let it run for a while.
If it doesn't light turn it off for a while then
back on. And so on.

I've found the heaters to be far from trouble free.
In the second year I replaced the pressure sensor
and the manifold (leaking).

In the fourth year I had to replace the control board
(it wouldn't light). The only way I could diagnose it
was I found one of the components hanging lose from
the board.

I think I'm starting the 7th season now.
Last year the fan wouldn't run so I opened it
up and the fan was extremely rusted.
I did manage to get it turning and haven't
replaced it yet but I'm pretty sure I will
have to this year.

Oops, more than you wanted to know...