Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlieb charlieb is offline

Default Wondering Why

I tend more towards turning smaller stuff, sometimes really
small stuff - maybe it's because the JET mini/midi isn't made
for doing BIG stuff. My tool of choice is a curved edge skew
either 1/2" or 3/4".

Because I want to get into tight places - deep narrow V cut,
small 5/8 spheres, a vertical wall that a sphere butts up
against, I find the 30 degree interior angle of the skew
limits what I want to do. So I sometime get one of my
bench chisels and with it's single bevel, I can make the
cut I want. Should probably just break down and get a
bedan.

But it got me asking "Why can't the interior angle go to
20 degrees?" If the 30 degree interior angle is a general
purpose angle and erring on the size of caution when it
comes to the size of the chunk of wood, why can a tighter
angle be used for smaller stuff. For a given rpm, the force
on the edge goes up with the diameter AND the mass of
the rotating piece of wood. And with smaller turnings
you start with smaller square blanks rather than a very
asymetric tree trunk with knots, some not apparent 'til
you get into it a bit. With a sqaure blank the edge is
initially contacting wood 4 times per revolution whereas
with a "tree trunk" type of starting point, it may only
contact the wood once per revolution.

So what say you regarding a 20 degree interior angle
on a 1/2" skew? Good idea? Bad idea? Something to
try - taking some extra safety precautions (face shield,
mouth piece, chest protector - cup - and a phone handy
with 911 on speed dial)?

charlie b
who sometimes spends too much time wondering and
not enough time on The Wood