Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Help! Minor repairs to home needed

On 2007-05-19 23:59:33 +0100, said:

On 19 May, 22:35, "The Medway Handyman"
On 19 May, 13:15, Andy Hall wrote:

I think that TMH should franchise his service...

Surely any potential franchisee seeing what he does would go amd
copy it without getting involved in the franchise. What Mr Medway
has is primarily job skill, applicants without it would be a lot
of work, and those with it can do it themselves anyway. To put it
another way, why do franchisees do it?

To some extent that's what I did - I saw what the existing large
companies did & learned from it. The last 18 months have been a
huge learning experience though. Whilst there are many people out
there with the DIY skills, they may well lack the business &
marketing skills required. Not sure about franchising, but I might well
write a 'how to' book.
When I did my research I could only find two - one from America and
one from Canada - no 'how to be a handyman' book relevant to the UK.

Might be a few bob in it.

Youre quite right about franchises.

But explaining to the world how to outcompete you is not such a good
idea.

NT

There's a big difference between reading and doing.

To be honest it wouldn't bother me if another 10 handymen started up in the
area - one thing there isn't is a shortage of work.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman